Hey all!! I’m so excited and I just can’t hide it! I’m excited because we (my girlfriends and myself) are starting a book club! AND…..drum roll please…..I am opening the book club up to you all too! The more the merrier!
Before I had my daughter, I used to enjoy reading. I also used to sleep better at night when I would spend the 20-30 mins before bed reading, rather than having screen time on the world wide web or some social media platform. So, I decided I was going to make an effort to put down the phone and pick up a book before bed. Because of this, I recently picked up a copy of Reese Witherspoon’s new book, Whiskey in a Tea Cup (audio book here). I love the meaning behind the name of the book. Reese’s grandmother, Dorothea, always said that a combination of beauty and strength made a southern woman “whiskey in a teacup.” She further explained women may be delicate and ornamental on the outside, but they’re strong and fiery on the inside. I am not finished yet, but the book is adorable so far. And, in putting down the phone and picking up a book, I have been reminded why I enjoy reading before bed.
I also watched the movie Book Club with Diane Keaton, Jane Fonda, Candice Bergen, and Mary Steenburgen a few months ago. It was hilarious. And, this movie got me thinking. I’ve been looking for healthy hobbies that allow for connectivity with my friends (and/or other women). In the movie, this book club kept these women connected for decades. It bonded them. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized a book club isn’t just a healthy hobby, it is a realistic hobby. Book club would be something enjoyable, it could be done on our own time, we would only meet (or connect online) once a month. Book club can be done year round through the different weather seasons. And, book club could be done at any age, whether you are 20 or 60 years old. Translation, this healthy hobby could (in theory) mimic the movie in the sense that it could be something my girlfriends and I could do for decades together.
I would like to try and make this as simple as possible; as well as, keep the realistic expectation that how I plan for this to work initially might need to evolve over time. So, here are the basics one should know:
- We will read one book a month.
- We will take turns choosing the book of the month. For example (right now), there are four of us ladies, so I will get to make the book selection every four months.
- There will be 3-5 basic discussion questions for each book. The person choosing the book may provide these if they wish, or I can provide them too. This isn’t school, no one is getting a grade. I don’t want anyone to be turned off by book club because there are discussion questions, they are simply meant to provide talking points for when we meet with one another. People’s answers can be as short and simple or as long and detailed as they wish, it is entirely up to the individual.
- We will meet once a month for brunch, or lunch, or dinner, or whatever works for our schedules to discuss the book, connect with one another, and enjoy each other’s company. If one of us is unable to attend, we can always Face-time or Skype them in for the discussion portion.
- Now, for how to include you all! When we meet once a month, I would like to try putting our discussion on Instagram Stories or do an Instagram Live Feed. I am also open to suggestions you might have as well. In addition to this, I will publish a blog post on each month’s book and intend to use the comment section at the bottom of the blog post as a form of discussion board for everyone!
- After we meet, I will send out an email to everyone over what was covered too keep everyone in the loop. The email will include the next book selection, the next set of discussion questions, and details for the coming month.
- For anyone who would like to have input on the book selections, would like to connect, and join Book Club via Blush Blossoms, please email me directly through my contact form here or email address (email@example.com) so I can get you on the email list!
I realize not everyone of my girlfriends and I will always love one another’s book selections. But that is part of the experience, to open each other up to knew things, topics, and genres we wouldn’t usually try on our own. We will all get a turn to pick something we like, and who knows, we may end up loving a book we thought we would hate. If you are following along via Blush Blossoms and social media, and can’t do every month, that’s okay too! We would love to have you even if it is only on a semi-regular basis!
I plan for Book Club to start next month, December of 2018! I realize December is a chaotic month and everyone is busy. But, I also chose December’s book for a reason. I think it will have a good message for everyone to be mindful of throughout the holiday season. So, without further adieu, December’s book is Love Your Life Not Theirs (it’s on major sale right now, literally $6-7) by Rachel Cruze.
Stay tuned for December’s discussion questions, and let me know if you have any questions!